Updates on the Corona virus outbreak in Italy and the Venice Region
Links to CONFIRMED SITES COLLECTING DONATIONS FOR HOSPITALS + FACTUAL information
Note from the authors of A Garden in Venice: The image above shows Bergamo (Lombardy), which is the city most hit in Italy by the outbreak of the Corona virus. Another city suffering extremely is Brescia, located approx. half-way between Bergamo and Verona.
The calls for help Italy made to the governments in Europe went unheard. Between 20 and 21 March, almost 800 people died of the virus in Italy: So far, more people died in Italy than in China. Italy receives support (masks, protective wear for doctors) from China, Cuba, Venezuela, and Russia. Doctors from these countries also work at hospitals in Italy to save lives and support / replace their Italian colleagues, as some Italian doctors tested positive.
A few days ago, several online initiatives to help Italy, the Veneto and Venice during the worst situation since 1630 (outbreak of the bubonic plague) were set up. We are sharing the ones we know of below. Each of them is confirmed, run by people we know, and is also supported by the local newspapers La Nuova Venezia and Il Gazzettino. In addition, we share the general link to donate to the Italian Red Cross.
Thank you so much for taking a look, and for your support which can save lives !!!!!!
1. Links to donate to Italian Hospitals and the Italian Red Cross
- Hospital of Bergamo: Gofundme – Campaign initiated by a doctor in Bergamo and also shared on Forbes Magazine: Click here to view the page.
- Venice – Ospedale Civile (confirmed link, supported by the newspaper La Nuova Venezia): Donations for the hospital in Venice: Click here to view the page.
- Supporting the hospital in Padua (confirmed link, supported by the Venetian daily Il Gazzettino): Click here to view the page.
- Supporting the Italian Red Cross: Click here to view the page.
- How to help Italy by Fox News: Click here to view the page.
2. Information on the Corona Outbreak in Venice and Italy.
Links to useful sites (please check often for updates):
- Comune di Venezia – Venice City Government: Live news and updates on the Corona virus (in Italian)
- Our Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte shares detailed updates on the measures of the Italian Civil Protection / Department of Health to contain the outbreak here on his Facebook Page.
- Ministero della Salute – Italian Health Ministry: Updates on the Corona virus (in Italian)
- What is Corona Virus – The WHO (World Health Organization) explains (in English)
- Safety: Q & A and how to prevent contagion – article by the WHO (in English)
- Il Gazzettino, the Venetian daily, has dedicated a section to the Corona virus (in Italian), and so has La Nuova Venezia, another Venetian daily newspaper.
- You can read more about the big picture of the outbreaks in Italy in Corriere della Sera (in Italian)
WHO European Office: What is also interesting to know is that the European department of the WHO (World Health Organization) is located at the Venetian hospital!